Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lituanica Beckton

I totally don't get Beckton, much in the same way that I don't get London. It is accessible by multiple stops on DLR (the last few) and has walkways which keep pedestrians much safer from traffic than they are in most other places in London.  Yet it is obviously intended for road traffic.

During my first visit to Beckton, I was excited to see what looked like a Target-sized Woolworth's in what looked like a proper city-outskirts strip mall (but it is only Zone 3). The sign looked new and I took joy in having discovered the last surviving store, probably now functioning as outlet for the website.


Even outside the UK, Woolworth's evokes nostalgia.  On the long road trips of my childhood, we always passed through Santa Fe, New Mexico, between the furnace-like Arizona desert and the snowy Colorado Rockies, and at the center of Santa Fe there was a Woolworth's.  Sadly, the Woolworth's in Santa Fe is now a dusty five-and-dime store.  Similarly, the Beckton Woolworth's does not seem to be in operation (Beckton is so mysterious I might be wrong).



My disappointment was soon eclipsed by an amazing discovery, just next door.  While not particular inspiring from it's strip mall facade, Lituanica's flagship store needs to be entered to be appreciated,  and includes not only a northeastern European grocery store, but also a jewellery shop, an attractive self-service restaurant, and a foreign bookstore.


The Lithuanian store/mini mall is a real cultural experience.  The store baked breads are similar to the ones at Westfield Stratford City (I am not sure if they are from the same bakery group -- Amber Bakery) --  cheaper and not quite as good 'grocery store' versions of the breads at Lituanian Karaway, but a huge step up from Greggs or the grocery store, and perfect to have around for grilled cheese (these breads last several days).  The store also has buckets of sauerkraut for sale for 19p and every thing else you could possibly want for Reuben sandwich at the Lithuanian deli, plus other rare delights like Latvian chocolates and attractively packaged tea.  The best thing about the store is that (nearly) everyone in there was Lithuanian, so I really felt as if I had been teleported from northeastern London to northeastern Europe.  When I checked out, the cashier spoke to me in Lithuanian, and persisted to even after I started speaking English.  I walked out beaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment