Monday, April 23, 2012

Tequila!

In light of the new east London courses by Don't Shoot Tequila, I would like to state that although I don't shoot tequila (any longer) everyone deserves a good tequila story.  I first heard of tequila from Pee Wee Herman, "America's Mr. Bean".


As a child I was terrified by the trucker ghost scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure, but this one was always uplifting:



Remember the basement of the Alamo?

Anyway, tequila remained a bit of a mystery until my grandmother taught me how to do tequila shots.  Grandma had a fairly elegant method, which she engaged me in following a nice chile relleno in a border town in Mexico.  Tequila shooting was further elaborated at Party School University, where every well-rounded student must do a body shot. And in Mexico, where some big city clubs pour the tequila directly into you through a spout.

My best story is from when I visited my boyfriend in central Mexico when I was 19. I stayed with some nice study abroad students, stopped counting at 13 shots, and remember being washed in a giant bathtub with gorgeous ceramic tiles.  Several witnesses attest that, that night, I spoke at least 6 different languages fluently, including some I didn't know I knew.  When I woke up, the shirt I had borrowed from my boyfriend was destroyed and I was not looking forward to our long bus ride to Acapulco.

Those days are behind me, but thanks to my introduction to añejo tequilas at places like Wahaca and Taqueria I have started drinking tequila again, this time much more slowly!  Some of my favorite añejo tequilas right now: Tapatio (full flavor), Patron (the Starbucks of tequila), Cazadores (light, green and agave), Corralejo (like vanilla whisky).  I recommend sipping tequila with a bite of chili chocolate, such as NewTree Piment (order online or stock up in Belgium).  With all the agave and flax seeds, it sounds healthy.  Your dentist may protest, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment